TO DRINK: A fresh Italian bubbly like prosecco will cut through the fattiness of the ham and pastry
1 wedge smoked mozzarella
1 bunch fresh rocket, cleaned
10 slices Parma ham
10 sheets spring roll pastry
oil, for deep-frying
SPRING ROLL SAUCE
1 onion, finely chopped
200g (1 cup) white sugar
500ml (2 cups) white wine
1L (4 cups) fresh cream
25ml Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the mozzarella into even, finger-size batons. Wrap each piece of mozzarella in a rocket leaf, and then with Parma ham.
- Roll each parcel in a sheet of spring roll pastry and seal the edges with water.
- Deep-fry at 180°C until golden brown. Serve immediately or freeze until needed.
- For the sauce, simmer the onion, sugar and wine in a saucepan until the liquid is reduced almost completely.
- Add the cream and mustard and simmer gently until reduced by half and the sauce is a coating consistency. Remove from heat and season.