Fermented foods are all the rage right now. Below we discuss 6 Fermented foods that can help to improve gut health:
1. Kefir: It tastes a bit like drinking yoghurt, but kefir is actually a fermented milk drink and is full of probiotics and calcium.
2. Sauerkraut: Made from cabbage and salt, sauerkraut is a good source of fibre and healthy probiotics.
3. Kimchi: Sauerkraut’s Korean cousin, kimchi is also a fermented cabbage but has more of a spicy kick.
4. Tempeh: Like tofu, tempeh is made from naturally fermented soya beans, but has a naturally nutty flavour. Not only is it a good source of probiotics, tempeh contains the highest amount of lysine for a vegan/vegetarian product, thus boasting all the essential amino acids.
5. Miso: Made from fermented rice, soya beans or barley, miso is a very bold paste and adds an umami flavour to dishes. It is high in sodium and a great source of probiotics.
6. Yoghurt: If labelled with ‘Live and Active Cultures’, yoghurt guarantees 100 million probiotic cultures per gram.