Deliciously crunchy and fresh, these crystal spring rolls with chargrilled tuna, avocado, apple and herbs are the ideal light meal to welcome the warmer weather.
Crystal spring rolls with chargrilled tuna, avocado, apple and herbsPrint Recipe
- 4 sustainable pole-caught fresh tuna steaks
- olive oil, to drizzle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh ginger, grated
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 8 crystal/Vietnamese spring roll wrappers (available at Asian supermarkets, Woolworths and select Pick n Pay stores)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 large handfuls mixed baby leaves and herbs (like coriander, parsley, basil, mint and baby spinach)
- fresh basil pesto, to dip
- edible flowers, to garnish (optional)
For the tuna, heat a griddle pan over very high heat until smoking hot. Drizzle each piece of tuna with olive oil, season generously and rub over a little ginger and chilli flakes. Chargrill each tuna steak in the griddle pan, about 30 seconds per side (fresh tuna is best lightly seared, but leave on the grill a little longer if you prefer it less pink in the centre). Squeeze a little lemon juice over each piece of fish and, using a very sharp knife, slice the tuna into 0,5cm-thick slices and set aside until needed. Taste a small piece, and add more seasoning and lemon juice, if necessary.
For the spring rolls, fill a large bowl with warm water and have the remaining prepared ingredients close by. Submerge 1 spring roll wrapper in the water to soften, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, and lay on a chopping board. Add some tuna slices, apple matchsticks, avo slices, baby leaves and herbs to the centre of the spring roll wrapper. Fold the bottom over the filling and then roll up from one side.
Repeat these steps with the remaining wrappers and fill with the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature, with basil pesto for dipping and garnished with edible flowers, if desired.