Recipe supplied by Nkosi Zwelivelile Mandlesizwe Dalibhunga Mandela
Styling by Anna Trapido
Photograph by Curtis Gallon
Farida’s chicken curryPrint Recipe
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh garlic, crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cardamom
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground paprika
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large chicken, jointed and portioned
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock (optional)
Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onions over low heat, about 10 minutes. Once the onions are soft and golden, add the ginger and garlic, and cook through, a further 5 minutes.
Add all of the spices (except the cinnamon quill and cloves) and gently cook through, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato, mix well, bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
Blitz to a rich sauce. Return the mixture to the heat and season to taste. Add the cinnamon quill, cloves and the chicken to the sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add the stock. Simmer the curry over low heat until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced sufficiently, about 30 – 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the sauce and add more stock if it gets too thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.