The spanakopita recipe, also known as spinach pie, is a family favourite recipe from The Gourmet Greek.
- 700g fresh or frozen spinach
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 7,5ml (1½ tsp) cake ﬂour, sieved
- 370g The Gourmet Greek Feta, crumbled
- handful The Gourmet Greek Pecorino, grated (optional)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- fresh milk or cream, if needed
- 4 sheets store-bought ﬁlo pastry
- olive oil/melted butter, to brush
Preheat the oven to 190˚C. Chop the spinach, bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the spinach, 5 minutes. Drain in a colander. Sauté the onions, butter and spinach in a pan over low heat, 10 minutes. Season to taste. Add the chicken stock cube and the cake flour and mix to combine. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the feta and pecorino, if desired. Set aside to cool down.
Add the beaten eggs to the cooled mixture. The consistency of the filling should be on the juicy side, so add milk or cream, if needed.
Line a greased 24cm ovenproof pan or casserole dish with 2 layers of filo pastry. Spoon the spinach and feta mixture over the filo pastry and cover with 2 more layers of filo. Brush olive oil or melted butter between 2 layers of filo and over the top of the pie to brown evenly. Bake until golden brown, about 30 – 40 minutes.