Fresh, fast and different, asparagus, in a fritter!
Asparagus Fritters with Herb salad recipe:
- 350 grams asparagus, trimmed 1 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, 1⁄2 cup finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 100 grams smoked cheese, shaved
POUR boiling water into a heatproof bowl and add the asparagus. Cover and allow to stand for 1 minute. Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water. Drain again and cut into 1cm pieces.
COMBINE flour, buttermilk, egg, 1⁄2 cup of shredded mint, asparagus and half the green onion in a bowl and mix until combined. Season well.
HEAT 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
SPOON 1 tbsp of batter into a pan; cook in batches, for 1 minute on each side until fritters are browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
COMBINE parsley, coriander, basil, remaining mint leaves, olive oil, vinegar and remaining green onion in a bowl and toss gently to combine. Season well. SERVE fritters with salad and cheese.
TIP: You will need about 2 bunches of asparagus. If you can’t find chardonnay vinegar, use white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar.
HANDS-ON TIME 30 min | TOTAL TIME 30 min | MAKES 12 | VEGETARIAN
ALSO SEE SMASHED POTATOES RECIPE