- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 cup grated cheddar, plus shavings to garnish
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Microbasil, to garnish
1. Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the onion until translucent. Add the butter and wait for it to melt. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk and stock, whisking continuously. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously.
3. Once the flour taste has cooked out, about 3 minutes, add the broccoli and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the cheese and nutmeg. Wait for the cheese to melt, then add the cream.
4. Blend the soup until smooth. Season and garnish with shavings of cheddar and microbasil.
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 25 mins | Cooking time: 15min
[Image by polina-kovaleva via Pexels]