This aubergine-and-rosemary mash with lamb chops is the perfect dinner for two.
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Aubergine-and-rosemary mash with lamb chops
- 1 large aubergine, peeled
- 1 tbsp chicken stock granules
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 rosemary sprig + extra leaves of 1 sprig
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 125ml (½ cup) thick/ double-thick cream
- salt, to taste
- 4 lamb chops
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 rosemary sprig, chopped + extra, to garnish
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- lemon wedges, to serve
For the mash, place the whole aubergine in a pot and add just enough water to cover it. Add the stock granules, lightly crushed garlic clove and rosemary sprig. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to boil, covered, until the aubergine is tender, about 30 minutes.
Once tender, transfer the aubergine to a blender. Add the basil and rosemary leaves, thick/double-thick cream and salt. Blitz until smooth. Set aside.
For the lamb chops, place the chops in a large roasting dish and drizzle with the lemon juice. Using your hands, rub the remaining ingredients over the meat.
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the seasoned lamb chops and fry until cooked, about 3 – 5 minutes per side.
Serve the chops warm, with the mash and lemon wedges alongside. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.