This green sauce is so versatile – you can use it as a marinade, as well as a dip. It also makes for a delicious salad dressing when thinned out with a bit of plain
Avocado and herb mayonnaise-marinated chicken wings
- 250ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 1 (about 220g) large avocado, peeled and pitted
- large handful fresh coriander leaves
- 100g cashews
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) fine salt
- 15ml (1 tbsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli
- 20 (about 700g) chicken wings, tips removed
- finely chopped chillies, to serve (optional)
- microherbs, to garnish (optional)
Place the mayonnaise, avocado, coriander leaves, cashews, lemon juice, sesame seeds, salt, garlic and chilli in a food processor and blend until fine.
You can keep the chicken wings whole or you can cut through the joint in the middle to separate the front of the wing from the back. Add the wings to half of the mayonnaise marinade and refrigerate to marinate, 30 minutes. Keep the remaining sauce in the fridge to serve as a dip later.
Preheat the grill of the oven. Arrange the chicken wings on a baking tray and discard the marinade. Grill for 15 minutes, then turn them over and grill for another 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them and remove any smaller bits that brown and cook faster, once they are done.
Sprinkle some more chopped chillies over the cooked wings and garnish with microherbs, if desired. Serve with the remaining sauce as a dip.