Who needs a burger bun when you can use avocados instead? These delicious avocado, prawn and smoked trout “burgers” with yoghurt-mayo dressing are packed with flavour and is perfect for dinner on a warm summer’s eve.
Recipe and styling by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Avocado, prawn and smoked trout “burgers” with yoghurt-mayo dressing
- 60g double-cream plain/Greek yoghurt
- 100g mayonnaise
- squeeze fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 180g hot-smoked trout, flaked
- 200g queen prawns, cooked and chopped (keep a few whole)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, halved lengthways
- lemon juice, to drizzle
- 3 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 35g microherbs
- black sesame seeds, to sprinkle
For the dressing, place all of the dressing ingredients in a small jug. Mix until well combined. Refrigerate until needed.
For the burgers, mix the flaked trout, cooked prawns, chopped spring onions and ½ of the dressing together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Drizzle the avocado halves with the lemon juice. Fill 2 of the halves with the trout-and-prawn mixture. Top with the thinly sliced baby fennel, chopped cucumber and microherbs. Cover with the remaining avocado halves to make 2 burgers. Sprinkle the tops of the burgers with the black sesame seeds. Serve immediately, with the remaining ½ of the dressing alongside.