Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Myburgh du Plessis
Fish tortillas with fennel slaw and sour cream
- 300g hake fillet, cut into 1cm-thick strips
- 50g seasoned cake flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 500ml (2 cups) sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 2 soft, white flour tortillas
- ½ pineapple, peeled and diced
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced + fronds, to garnish
- 4 cucumber ribbons
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 avocado, peeled and smashed
- lemon wedges, to squeeze
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- baby spring onion, to garnish
For the fish, crumb the hake strips by dipping each strip into the seasoned flour, followed by the beaten egg and then the panko breadcrumbs. Set aside until needed.
In a deep fat fryer or large, deep pot, heat the oil to 180˚C. Use a sugar thermometer to check the temperature of the oil if using a pot. Fry the hake strips, 2 – 3 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
For the tacos, preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the soft tortillas in the preheated oven on the racks, 2 minutes.
Top with the crispy fish strips, diced pineapple, fennel slices, cucumber ribbons and radish slices. Dollop over the sour cream, and serve with the smashed avocado and the lemon wedges for squeezing. Season to taste, and garnish with baby spring onions and fennel fronds.