Lamb shank and quince pies
- 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 500ml (2 cups) red wine
- 18 baby carrots, peeled
- 2 quinces, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour, mixed with a little water
- salt, to taste
- 2 sheets store-bought puff pastry, rolled
- 1 tsp squid ink
- milk/water, to brush
Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat and brown the lamb shanks. Add the onion, cinnamon quill, celery, garlic, rosemary, black pepper, ginger, water and red wine, and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
Add the baby carrots and quince and simmer until the meat is tender, about 20 minutes. add the butter, sugar and the cornflour and stir into the lamb shanks. Bring to a simmer to thicken and season to taste.
Spoon the filling into ovenproof dishes and cover with the rolled puff pastry. Paint the pastry offcuts with squid ink and cut into desired shapes. Brush the covered pie with a little milk or water and stick the painted pastry shapes on top.
Bake in the oven until the pastry is golden brown, for 18 – 20 minutes. Serve immediately.