Picture this: you’re standing in a lush park, shoes off with sunlight dappled across your face. Refreshed by a gentle breeze, your senses are filled with jazz beats, smells of roasted coffee and an awe-inspiring view of the mountain. The vibrant energy and welcoming smiles are contagious, and you feel all your tension from the week melt away. Sound unreal? This dreamlike world is the soul of The Mountain Market, a neighbourhood farmer’s market located in picturesque Van Riebeeck Park in Oranjezicht.
Brought to life by Natasha Napoli, founder and creative director of Nourish’d Cafe, The Mountain Market works together with The Platteklip Trust to rejuvenate the magic hidden in Van Riebeeck Park. Although steeped in significant cultural heritage and rooted at the base of Table Mountain, this unique urban space has unfortunately suffered from years of neglect. The Mountain Market aims to transform the park into a space that can once again be enjoyed by all. Natasha, who grew up in the park surrounds, is excited to see it spring back to life and bless us with summery days filled with beautiful memories on the swings.
The Mountain Market buzzes with friendly vendors selling fruit & veg, coffee, curries, french crepes, freshly baked goods, juices, vegan treats, plants and more! A dog-friendly environment with yoga sessions on the lawn, live music and the park’s playground nearby, there is a little something for everyone to enjoy. So bring along your picnic blanket and spend a beautiful summer’s day nestled in nature, surrounded by good music, delicious food and a panoramic view of the mountain.
DATES: every Saturday until 16 April 2022
LOCATION: Van Riebeeck Park, 18 Sidmouth Ave, Oranjezicht, Cape Town, 8001
View this post on Instagram
Want to get involved? Here’s what you need to know about becoming a vendor:
- COMMITMENT: to ensure a stable foundation for The Mountain Market, you’re kindly asked to commit until the last market in April.
- COST: R200 per market with an additional R150 contribution towards market facilities. Tables cannot be provided, so please bring your own.
- PARKING: no parking on the grass, except to drive through to drop off your things.
- HEALTH & SAFETY: food vendors need to have a certificate of acceptability, and any stores using gas or a generator need to bring a fire extinguisher.
- COMMUNITY: make sure to join the Mountain Market Whatsapp group with the rest of your fellow vendors. Get in touch with Natasha on 0636481040 to join.