Paying tribute to our rainbow nation’s diversity, we asked locals to share memories of their traditional food cultures. This roasted pumpkin and bulgur wheat salad is inspired by the Tshivenda culture.
For more great Heritage Day recipes, click here.
Roasted pumpkin and bulgur wheat salad
- 1 small pumpkin, cut into wedges
- water, to cover
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 100g bulgur wheat, cooked according to packet instructions
- generous handful baby spinach leaves
- small handful Rosa tomatoes, halved
- 2 rounds feta cheese
- 50g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Balsamic, honey and orange dressing
- 65ml balsamic vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- juice of 1 orange
For the salad, preheat the grill. Place the pumpkin wedges in a pot, cover with salted water and boil until soft, 20 minutes. Remove from the water, drizzle the pumpkin with the oil and grill until chargrilled, 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the dressing, blend together all the ingredients until well combined.
Carefully arrange all the salad components on individual boards, drizzle with the dressing, season and serve.