Difficulty level: Easy
Time: 30 mins
TO DRINK: This toasted treat is a winner with a light-style Belgian beer
30ml (2 tbsp) unsalted butter
60ml (4 tbsp) cake flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
3ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
250ml (1 cup) Gruyère, grated
60ml (4 tbsp) Parmesan, grated
12 slices white bread
30ml (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
150g Gypsy ham, sliced
30ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon for one minute to create a roux.
- Slowly add the milk to the roux, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, add the nutmeg, Gruyère and Parmesan and season.
- Place the bread on baking trays and bake for 3 – 4 minutes. Turn and toast for a further 2 minutes or until golden. Spread each slice of toast with mustard. Add a slice of ham, top with another slice of toast, then another slice of ham and a final slice of toast.
- Spoon about 3 – 4 tbsp of cheese sauce onto the top of each toast stack and place under the grill for 3 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat, scatter with the thyme leaves and serve hot.