Recipe, styling and photograph by Hein van Tonder
Build your base: basic bone broth
Beef bone broth with marrow
- 700g beef marrow bones
- 1L beef bone broth (see "Basic Bone Broth" recipe above)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250g vegetables of your choice, thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, torn
- fresh red chilli, sliced, if desired
Preheat the oven to 200˚C and roast the marrow bones in a roasting tray in the preheated oven, 1 hour, until well browned and caramelised.
Add the roasted marrow bones to a pot with the stock and simmer, 1 hour, topping up with water, if necessary, to ensure the bones remain covered. Remove the cooked marrow from the bones and whisk into the broth. Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly. Bring to a simmer, add the veggies and cook, 5 minutes.
Serve the broth with the torn fresh parsley and the sliced chilli, as per your heat preference.