Makes 4 (2 mini and 2 regular-sized cones) EASY 20 mins
WHAT YOU NEED
50g icing sugar
50g egg whites
4 tsp cake flour
4 tsp maize meal
HOW TO DO IT
- Cut a radius line from the edge to the centre of 4 paper plates using a pair of scissors, then form a cone out of each plate. Secure in place using a piece of press-stick or sellotape.
- Wrap the paper cone with foil, tucking neatly inside, and smooth it out to give it structure. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 150◦C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and trace 4 evenly spaced, 8cm and 12cm diameter circles (2 for each size) onto it using a pencil. Flip the paper over and spray evenly with non-stick baking spray. Set aside until needed.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg whites and add the flour and maize meal. Mix until smooth.
- Spoon 1 heaped tablespoon of the batter onto the centre of the circles drawn on the baking paper. Spread the batter evenly and thinly using a palette knife or spatula to make a perfect circle. If it’s too thick, you can remove any excess batter. Repeat on the remaining circles. Bake for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Switch off the oven but keep the unformed cones in the heat to keep them pliable.
- Working quickly, remove one baked circle and roll it around a paper cone (almost all the way to the top for regular and halfway for mini). Hold in place for 30 seconds until it’s cool and hard. Set aside, still on the paper cone, and repeat for the remaining cones.