Recipe and styling by Joe Barza
Photograph by Justin Dingwall
Shawarma spice-marinated tuna with artichoke salad
- 125ml (½ cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 25g red pepper paste (find at woolworths.co.za)
- 3g white pepper
- 3g ground cloves
- 3g allspice
- 1g crushed cardamom
- 1g miskeh (find at your local Middle-Eastern store)
- 30g salt
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 20g mustard
- 400ml corn oil (find at britishcornershop.co.uk)
- 15g orange peel
- 15g lemon peel
- 25g tahini
- 100g laban ayran (find at your local Middle-Eastern store)
- 50g onion, peeled and chopped
- 1kg fresh tuna
- 200g artichoke hearts, cut into small cubes
- 100g cucumber, diced
- 40g pomegranate rubies + extra, to garnish
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- edible flowers, to garnish
- glazed balsamic vinegar, to garnish
For the shawarma marinade, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Transfer to a large stainless-steel container. Set aside until needed.
For the tuna, heat a griddle pan until hot. Grill the tuna until seared, 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to the stainless-steel container and set aside to marinate for 24 hours.
For the artichoke salad, mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
To serve, slice the marinated tuna into bite-sized squares. Divide the artichoke salad among 4 serving plates. Top each portion with a few tuna pieces. Garnish with the pomegranate rubies, edible flowers and a drizzle of glazed balsamic vinegar.