Recipe by Marthinus Ferreira
Spicy liver pâté
- 60g butter
- 500g calf’s liver, sliced into 1cm thick slices and dusted with flour
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh chillies, seeded and chopped
- a handful of fresh thyme, leaves only, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) sherry
- 60ml (¼ cup) brandy
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat, add liver and fry on both sides until brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
Fry the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme until soft. Add sherry and brandy, and reduce for 5 minutes. Add cream and reduce until thick, about 10 minutes.
Finely chop the cooked liver, add to the pan and mix.
Place in a serving dish and chill for 1 hour.