‘Tis the season to entertain and a good host should know how to create a lip-smacking cheese platter that will leave their guests in awe. Here are 5 tips to help you create the perfect cheese platter this festive season.
1. A great cheese platter offers a good balance of textures and flavours, like SPAR Marksbury Select French Camembert served with SPAR Freshline Figs and SPAR Freshline Blueberries. Melba toast is the perfect contrast to the soft texture of Camembert. To make your own Melba toast, leave sourdough bread in the freezer overnight. Slice the frozen bread wafer-thin with a very sharp knife and dry out in a 100°C oven until crispy.
2. Juicy and sweet, SPAR Freshline Grapes bring out the creamy flavour of SPAR Marksbury Select Blue Stilton. Pair with wafer-thin apple slices and SPAR Choice Grade Pistachios for the perfect bite.
3. Remove the cheeses from the fridge an hour before serving – the cold can hinder flavour.
4. Label each of the cheeses on the platter so you don’t have to continuously inform guests which cheese is which.
5. SPAR Marksbury Select French Brie is the ideal partner to zingy SPAR Orange Marmalade and SPAR Cream Crackers. Balance that softness and gooeyness with some added crunch: mix together 100g lightly toasted SPAR Choice Grade Almonds and 30ml (2 tbsp) SPAR Choice Grade Honey in a pan over medium heat and cook, 5 – 8 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pour the warm nut mixture over the Brie. Delicious!
We’ve rounded up six inspirational cheese boards below to get you started.