1. To avoid cookie dough from sticking to the cookie cutter, dip the cutter in flour prior to cutting each shape.
2. Create an edible cup with bacon by following these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. You will need baking paper and string. Cut the baking paper into 13cm x 15cm squares and cover the cups on the bottom of a muffin tray, as seen in the photograph.
- Secure the baking paper by tying heat-stable and food-grade string around the cups.
- Wrap streaky bacon strips around the baking paper to create a cup, about 3 – 4 strips per cup.
- Bake in the oven until slightly crispy, about 15 minutes, and serve with your favourite filling inside.
3. Did you know dark soya sauce has less taste than light soya sauce? Use dark soya sauce to give depth of colour to dishes and light soya sauce to add saltiness.
4. BRUNOISE is a culinary knife cut in which the food item is first julienned and then turned a quarter turn and diced again, producing cubes of about 3mm or less.
VICHY is the ideal cut for longer vegetables like baby marrows, creating thicker and round slices.
MACÉDOINE is a French cooking term meaning a mixture of vegetables or fruit chopped into cubes of 4mm x 4mm x 4mm.