Not everyone knows that one of America’s favourite foodies, Colonel Sanders, went from school drop-out to creator of the world’s most famous fried chicken recipe
Just like the Colonel, they insist that KFC is freshly prepared in store throughout the day so that the food is always served hot and fresh.KFC has been enjoyed in its original recipe for over 70 years, but it’s the enthusiasm of one man, Colonel Harland Sanders, that has left a legacy enjoyed in more than 100 countries around the world.
Colonel Sanders has become quite the celebrity in his role as keeper of the KFC recipe. In the recent past, more of the Colonel’s amazing history has come to light as a result of an incredible find by an employee at the KFC headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky. A rare manuscript filled with stories, principles and recipes reveals not only some of his favourite farm cooking-style recipes, it also gives us insight into the thoughts and drive of Colonel Sanders himself.
A man who believed in the value of good old-fashioned country farm cooking, his quality and standards have left a legacy that continues throughout KFC stores today.
It’s encouraging to see that KFC stores in the 21st century continue to adhere to the Colonel’s exacting standards:
- Just like the Colonel, they insist that KFC is freshly prepared in store throughout the day so that the food is always served hot and fresh.
- They use only the finest quality ingredients in all food because they believe, as did the Colonel, that if you put the best in you get the best out.
- The supplier approval process is known industry-wide in SA as one of the most challenging and thorough and food suppliers have to comply with some of the strictest quality and food safety standards in the industry.
- The Colonel perfected his secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices in 1940 and the same recipe is still used across the world today.
- The Colonel personally trained each of his original franchisees on how to cook his signature recipe chicken. And today, these standards are upheld by ensuring that KFC store staff undergo rigorous training for 60 days in order to learn how to produce signature recipes and ensure that the food is prepared right every time.