This summer, immerse yourself in the sun-kissed beauty of the Cape by embarking on a fruit-picking adventure at some of the region’s finest farms.
The heavy rains in winter and the long hours of sunshine during summer are just the right conditions for growing a variety of fruits, such as citrus fruits, berries, and stone fruits. Fruit farms span across the Cape and offer a chance for the public to enjoy freshly picked fruit during the harvest season.
1. Chart Farm: A Floral Oasis with a Twist
Known for its breathtaking roses, Chart Farm in Wynberg offers more than just a visually stunning landscape. Amongst the fragrant blooms, discover rows of succulent fruits ripe for the picking throughout the year. From cherries and figs to chestnuts and grapes, the farm stall boasts a diverse range. After your fruitful endeavours, relax at the cosy coffee shop, where farm-fresh ingredients transform into delightful dishes. With a country-style restaurant serving up good home cooking, Chart Farm is a haven for both flower and food enthusiasts.
- Location: 1A Klaasens Rd, Wynberg,
- Contact: [email protected]
Fruits on offer throughout the year:
- Cherries: January & December
- Figs: February
- Pears, Grapes and Chestnuts: March & April
- Apples: March, April, May
- Lemons: July
2. Polkadraai Strawberry Farm: Berry Bliss in Stellenbosch
For a burst of berry goodness, head to Polkadraai Strawberry Farm in Stellenbosch. Rows of bright red strawberries beckon pickers of all ages. The experience doesn’t end with picking; you can add extra activities like tractor or pony rides for a fun-filled day. With a nominal fee based on bucket size, it’s an affordable and delightful outing for the whole family. The strawberry picking season spans from September to January, ensuring a summer filled with juicy delights.
- Location: Cnr. Vlaeberg & Polkadraai Rd. Stellenbosch
- Cost of strawberry picking: R50 – R220 depending on bucket size
- Strawberry picking season: September to January
3. Hoogwater Farm: Tranquil Escape with Seasonal Fruits
Escape the city hustle and bask in the tranquility of Hoogwater Farm in Wolseley. During the fruit harvest season, the farm offers an array of flavourful fruits, including nectarines, peaches, and figs. These fruits, perfect for a cheese board, make this farm a must-visit. If you’re tempted to extend your stay, the farm provides luxurious accommodations for a weekend retreat. Keep in mind that fruits are seasonal, so plan your visit accordingly.
- Location: R43, Hoogwater Farm, Wolseley
- Contact: 083 762 2803
Fruits on offer throughout the year:
- Nectarines: 26 – 27 November & 10-11 December
- Peaches, Figs, Apples, Pears: 7 January to 5 February
4. Klondyke Cherry Farm: Picking Pleasure Amongst Cherry Orchards
Nestled in Ceres, the Klondyke Cherry Farm invites you to indulge in cherry-picking amidst picturesque orchards. Choose between delicious ruby-tinged or sun-kissed yellow cherries. After your labor, unwind with a picnic amongst the pine trees, creating cherished memories with family and friends. The cherry-picking season runs from 25th November to 1st January, making it a festive and flavourful experience.
- Location: Klondyke Farm, Bo Swaarmoed 6835, Ceres
- Contact: 023 312 1521
- Cherry picking season: 25 November to 1 January
5. Wildebraam Berry Estate: Embrace the Messy Delight of Blackberry Picking
Tucked away in Swellendam, Wildebraam Berry Estate is a haven for blackberry and youngberry enthusiasts. Navigate through bushes brimming with dark purple and red berries, and pick to your heart’s content. Be sure to arrive early to avoid the sun and ensure you get the cream of the crop. With an entrance fee of R15 and affordable bucket prices, it’s a pocket-friendly adventure. The berry-picking season spans from November to December, offering a limited but delightful window to savor these tasty and healthy treats.
- Location: S4, Hermitage Valley, Bethel St, Swellendam
- Cost: The entrance fee is R15
- Berry picking season: November to December
- Contact: 028 514 3132
As you plan your summer escapades, consider these fruit-picking paradises in the Cape, where the simple act of plucking fruits becomes a joyful experience, connecting you with nature’s bounty and the essence of a Cape summer.
Feature image: Pexels