Step into the vibrant culinary scene of Cape Town, where the tantalising aroma of spices and the sizzle of frying fills the air. Among the city’s rich street food culture, one iconic dish stands out: the Gatsby.
Originating from the bustling Cape Flats, this legendary sandwich has become a beloved symbol of Cape Town’s diverse flavours and cultural fusion.
Packed with generous layers of meat, fries and an array of mouthwatering fillings, the Gatsby is a true indulgence for food enthusiasts.
Here are some of the spots to grab a Gatsby in Cape Town:
Cape to Curry
Indulge your taste buds in a mouthwatering adventure of the iconic sandwich at Cape to Curry. From the classic combination of plain chips to the delectable options of butter chicken, spicy mutton curry and even vegetarian delights, there’s something to satisfy every craving.
Not to mention the perfectly crisp and fresh chips that are renowned throughout Cape Town. Whether you’re a meat lover or a vegetarian, Cape to Curry’s hearty rolls and fillings will leave you craving more.
- Location: 94c Monte Vista Blvd, Monte Vista
- Times: Tuesday to Thursday 11am to 6:30pm | Friday to Saturday 11am to 7pm | Sunday 12pm to 3pm
Cosy Corner is the ultimate destination for Gatsby lovers to indulge in a culinary experience like no other as A-grade cuts, premium produce and high-quality ingredients harmoniously blend together to create the perfect Gatsby.
Whether you’re craving the fiery flavors of spicy Masala steak Gatsbys or the mouthwatering satisfaction of chargrilled chicken burgers, Cosy Corner has it all. With a legacy dating back to 1973, Cosy Corner holds a special place in the hearts of the community.
- Location: 119 Ottery Rd, Wynberg
- Times: Saturday to Thursday 9am to 11pm | Friday 9am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 11pm
- Website: cosycornertakeaway.co.za
Steelies Fast Foods
Steelies takes pride in serving only the finest quality food to satisfy every palate. You can indulge in the famous local delicacy but can also explore their selection of special in-house creations.
Brace yourself for an explosion of flavours as you experience Gatsbys overloaded with masala chips, generously drizzled in sauces, topped with juicy and tender steak, complemented by a fried egg and perfected with polony and viennas.
- Location: V&A Waterfront and Canal Walk
- Times: Sunday to Thursday 9am to 9pm | Friday to Saturday 9am to 10pm
- Website: steelies.business.site
The menu at Golden Dish showcases a variety of mouthwatering dishes that are sure to satisfy your cravings. Indulge in their legendary Gatsbys, featuring an array of options including steak, chicken, vienna, boerewors, russian and burger patty.
All of Golden Dish’s products are 100% halaal, and the restaurant is committed to having a personal touch infused into every dish. As a long-standing, family-run institution, they take pride in offering an incredibly diverse range of Gatsbys.
- Location: 7, Block 1, Gatesville Shopping Centre, 1 Hazel Rd & Klipfontein Rd, Gatesville
- Times: Monday to Thursday 9am to 3am | Friday to Saturday 9am to 5am
- Website: thegoldendish.co.za
Aneesa’s Foods serves up a diverse selection of Gatsbys that seamlessly blend tradition with innovation. Each Gatsby is carefully crafted with a generous portion of freshly fried chips.
Among the crowd favourites, the chicken and Vienna Gatsbys stand out, offering a delightful combination of flavours that will leave you craving more.
- Location: 86 Ottery Rd, Wynberg
- Times: Monday to Wednesday 11am to 9pm | Thursday 11am to 10pm | Friday 11am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 11pm | Saturday 11am to 11pm
- Website: aneesas.co.za
Feature Image: @steelies_fastfoods / Instagram