Nothing says “you matter” more than a home-made Christmas gift from the heart. This DIY apple and pecan pie granola is perfect for spreading comfort and joy this festive season.
Quick fact: This recipe is wheat-free and vegetarian.
Recipe, styling and photography by Katelyn Williams
Apple and pecan pie granola
- 750ml (3 cups) large flake oats (do not use instant oats)
- 150g mixed seeds (flaxseeds, sesame, poppy and pumpkin seeds)
- 45g desiccated coconut or coconut flakes
- 125g tinned apple purée
- 180g butter
- 30ml – 60ml (2 – 4 tbsp) honey/maple syrup
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence/extract
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 250ml (1 cup) shelled pecan nuts, toasted and chopped
- 125g dried apple slices, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line a large baking tin with baking paper. In a large bowl, combine the oats, mixed seeds, coconut and apple puree.
Melt the butter, honey or maple syrup, vanilla and ground cinnamon together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spread onto the large, lined baking tin in an even layer and bake in the preheated oven, 20 – 30 minutes, stirring well every 5 – 10 minutes, ensuring the granola toasts evenly. Remove from oven and stir in the pecan nuts and apple slices. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.