Artichoke and pesto-topped grilled mushrooms
- 2 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 4 medium brown mushrooms
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- olive oil
- a pinch of paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 20ml (4 tsp) basil or rocket pesto
- 4 baby bocconcini mozzarella balls
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
- scrambled or fried eggs, to serve
- toast, to serve
Follow the steps on how to prepare artichokes.
Chop the artichoke hearts into quarters, add another dash of lemon juice and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Place the brown mushrooms cap-side down on a lightly greased baking tray. Add crushed garlic to the gills of each mushroom followed by a splash of olive oil, a pinch of paprika, seasoning and a pinch of chilli flakes if preferred. Grill for 5 – 8 minutes and then add a dollop of pesto onto each mushroom, followed by a wedge or two of artichoke. Grill for another minute and then remove from the oven. Add torn bocconcini and scatter over some fresh basil leaves.
Serve with eggs and toast on the side.
Artichokes are high in folate and and cancer-protecting antioxidants vitamin C, and a rich source of heart-healthy phytochemicals.