To drink: Go for the fragrant, nutty-peach character of Tamboerskloof Viognier.
Aubergine and chickpea salad
- 125ml (½ cup) plain yoghurt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) honey
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- lemon juice, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cardamom
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2 aubergines, cubed
- 500ml (2 cups) cooked or tinned chickpeas
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 200g baby spinach leaves
For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and cook the garlic, coriander, cardamom and cinnamon for 1 minute. Add the aubergines and cook while stirring until golden, about 3 minutes.
Add the chickpeas to the pan and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through the parsley.
Place the spinach on a serving platter, top with the aubergine mixture and drizzle with the dressing.
New varieties of aubergines don’t require pre-salting and draining to draw out the bitter juices.