This is the perfect autumnal salad – the fresh greens and root vegetables pair perfectly with the creamy chevin. Serve as the ultimate, heart-warming starter on a cooler evening.
HOT TIP: Replace the olive oil for the dressing with avocado oil – it’s high in omegas 3, 6 and 9.
Recipe by Vickie de Beer
Photograph by Lee Malan
Autumn salad with deep-fried chevin recipe
Autumn salad with deep-fried chevin
- 80ml olive or avocado oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) wholegrain mustard
- 5ml (1 tsp) honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 20g (2 tbsp) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 8 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- 6 – 8 baby carrots, halved
- 100g walnuts
- 3 x 100g rolls chevin (goat’s cheese)
- 40g flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- canola oil, for shallow frying
- a handful of fresh rocket
- a handful of fresh baby salad leaves (radicchio, Swiss chard)
- 250ml (1 cup) cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 red apples, cored and thinly sliced
Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
Heat the butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme, carrots and walnuts, and fry until tender but not too soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
Slice the chevin rolls into 12 pieces. Dip each piece in a little flour, shaking off the excess. Coat with the egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the chevin cubes until golden on all sides. Drain on paper towel.
Arrange the rocket, salad leaves, beetroot and apple on a serving platter.
Just before serving, place the fried chevin cubes on top of the salad and serve with the dressing.