Baby octopus salad with new potatoes (Insalata di polpo e patate novella)
- 1 large chilli, cut in half lengthways
- 2 handfuls fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 75ml olive oil
- 1 packet baby octopus, cleaned
- 8 small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- small bunch fresh chives, snipped
- mixed green salad leaves (optional)
- 2 celery stalks, julienned
Put the chilli, half the parsley, 3 whole garlic cloves and 45ml (3 tbsp) of the oil in a large casserole dish on the stove over medium heat. Add the octopus (don't season it or it will be tough). Cover and simmer gently until tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins.
Heat the remaining oil in a small saucepan and sweat the onion until soft but not coloured. Add the vinegar and cook until completely evaporated. Remove from the heat. Cut the potatoes into quarters, mix with the onion and season.
Squash the remaining garlic clove with the back of a knife and chop with the parsley. Add the parsley mixture and lemon juice to the cooled octopus. Season if necessary and mix in the remaining olive oil. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
To serve, combine the potatoes with the octopus mixture and add the chives. Arrange on the salad leaves (if using) and garnish with the celery.