Beef and red wine stew is a classic. This delicious recipe proves once and for all that there’s no better combination than tender meat and dry wine. A perfect dinner on a cold night.
Beef and red wine stew
- 1,5kg soft shin or chuck steak, cubed
- 30ml cake flour
- 15ml ground coriander
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves
- 750ml red wine
- 12 – 16 baby onions, peeled
- 300g baby black mushrooms
- 40ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Dust the beef with the flour and coriander, and fry in batches until it is well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Fry the onion, celery, carrots, bacon and garlic until soft and slightly browned then deglaze the pan with a little red wine.
Add the baby onions, beef and the rest of the red wine, and simmer until the meat is tender, about an hour and a half.
Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Mix through the parsley, adjust the seasoning and serve with creamy mashed potatoes.