To drink: Pinotage has a natural affinity for biltong. Try Beyerskloof, Kanonkop, Kaapzicht or L’Avenir. A shiraz blend such as La Motte, Fairview, Badenhorst or Rust en Vrede will also work well with this dish.
Biltong, avocado and orange tartare
- 250ml (1 cup) biltong, sliced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 orange, segmented and diced
- 45ml (3 tbsp) spring onions, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 30ml (2 tbsp) orange juice
- 4 slices ciabatta, toasted
- 2 avocados, halved, skins on
- fresh celery shavings, to serve
For the tartare, gently toss together all the ingredients and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To serve, place a slice of toast and half an avocado on each plate. Top with the tartare and the celery shavings.
Cook's tip: For extra zing, add some dried chilli flakes.