Biltong, blue cheese and caramelised onion tartlets
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 100g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 100ml water
- 6 ready-made shortcrust pastry tartlet cases
- 200g blue cheese, crumbled
- 100g biltong, sliced
- 20ml (4 tsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) white pepper
- alfalfa sprouts, to serve
Preheat the oven to 140ºC.
Fry the onions, oil, sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat until brown and caramelised. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Fill the tartlet cases with the blue cheese and biltong, sprinkle with the parsley and top with the onion mixture.
In a bowl, mix the egg, cream, salt and pepper until well combined and pour over the tartlet fillings.
Bake until cooked through and golden, about 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold, sprinkled with the sprouts.