Black mushroom stuffed with bacon, peas, mozzarella and garlic is a wonderful starter or meal on its own. We love the cheese and garlic that perfectly complements this dish.
Black mushroom stuffed with bacon, peas, mozzarella and garlic
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12 slices of bacon strips, thinly chopped
- 50g fresh peas
- 8 large black mushrooms, cleaned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g mozzarella, grated
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh thyme
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive/avocado oil
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onions and garlic until the onions caramelise. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Add the peas and cook until just done.
Place the mushrooms on a baking tray and season. Divide the bacon mixture between the mushrooms and sprinkle with the mozzarella, thyme and oil.
Bake until the cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Serve while still hot.