A dollop or two of home-made pickles will add a tantalising new flavour dimension to simple dishes. This blistered pineapple, cinnamon and ginger pickle is delicious served with fresh crusty bread and a sliver or two of strong cheese.
TRY THIS: 4 quick and easy pickle recipes
Recipe and styling by Sarah Graham
Photograph by Kyle Rogers
Blistered pineapple, cinnamon and ginger pickle
- 15 – 30ml (1 – 2 tbsp) avocado or cooking oil
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into rough cubes
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 100g (½ cup) demerara or light brown sugar
- 100ml fresh lemon juice
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium heat and cook the pineapple until it just starts to caramelise.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the mixture has darkened in colour and thickened slightly, 10 – 15 minutes.
Spoon into sterilised jars and allow to cool before sealing.
Can be stored in the fridge for up to 10 days.
ALSO TRY: Red pepper, chorizo and chilli pickle