- 1kg brisket roast, bone removed
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sea salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) peppercorns
- 5ml (1 tsp) whole coriander seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 45ml (3 tbsp) honey
- 5ml (1 tsp) whole cloves
- Pulled brisket sandwich
- good quality sourdough bread or rolls
- fresh rocket, to serve
- sea salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- carrots, julienned, to serve
- spring onions, julienned, to serve
Place the brisket in a large casserole or stock pot. Add the water and spices and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to a simmer for 1 hour.
After an hour place the casserole or stock pot in a 180°C oven and cook for a further 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
Remove the casserole from the oven and cool. When cooled, start shredding the meat, using either your fingers or two forks.
Combine a ladle or two of the cooking liquid to the shredded meat. Use for sandwich toppings or a pie filling.
Slow cooking ensures the meat is tender and can easily be shredded for the ultimate sandwich…
- Toast the bread or rolls in the oven.
- Spread with your favourite mustard, add fresh rocket and top with plenty of pulled brisket.
- Make a quick yoghurt dressing by combining 125ml (½ cup) Greek yoghurt with 30ml (2 tbsp) mayonnaise, 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chopped chives and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season well.
- Top the pulled brisket with yoghurt dressing and garnish with julienned carrots and spring onions before serving.