Bubble and squeak is a traditional English dish often made with leftover vegetables. The main ingredient is potato, but we’ve added many of our favourite vegetables.
TO DRINK: Sauvignon Blanc pairs well with vegetable-based dishes
Bubble and squeak cakes with crème fraîche and Parma ham
- 500g potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 200g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 80ml (¼ cup) cake flour, seasoned
- 150g crème fraîche, to serve
- 8 slices Parma ham, grilled, to serve
- cherry tomatoes, grilled, optional
Mash the warm potatoes with the butter. Boil the sprouts until just tender, about 3 – 5 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. Finely slice the sprouts and stir into the potato.
Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the garlic. Add the spring onions and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Add this mixture to the potato mixture. Season.
Add the egg yolk to the potato mixture and shape into patties. Chill for 30 minutes.
Place the flour on a plate and coat the patties. Heat some oil in a largefrying pan and shallow-fry the patties for 2 minutes on each side, turning carefully. Drain.
Serve warm, topped with a dollop of crème fraîche and two slices of Parma ham and the tomatoes, if desired.