Who says curry is a winter exclusive? We love eating curry all year round!
Recipe and styling by Nomvuselelo Mncube
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Butter chicken with chargrilled naan bread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 14g (2 tbsp) garam masala
- 1g (½ tsp) ground cardamom seeds
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3cm ginger, peeled and finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3g (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 3g (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 2g (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream handful fresh coriander,
- roughly chopped + extra, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 naan breads, grilled
Place the garlic, garam masala, ground cardamom seeds, onion, ginger and seasoning in a food processor. Blitz until a smooth paste forms. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the cubed chicken and toss until the chicken is coated thoroughly. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate to marinate, about 30 minutes.
Place the olive oil and unsalted butter in a large pot over high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the marinated chicken and fry for about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, ground cumin and cream. Stir until well combined. Cook over medium heat, about 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the freshly chopped coriander.
Divide the butter chicken among 6 – 8 serving bowls. Garnish each portion with more freshly chopped coriander and red chilli rounds. Serve with the naan breads alongside.