Serve this with piping hot naan bread or rotis for a simple pre-curry or anytime snack, or as a perfect picnic pairing.
Recipe and styling by Sarah Graham
Photograph by Kyle Rogers
ALSO TRY: Apple, date and cinnamon achar
Butternut, cumin and lime achar
- 500g butternut, peeled and cut into cubes
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5ml (1 tsp) medium-strength curry powder
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) mustard powder
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 75ml fresh lemon juice
- 75ml olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) demerara or light brown sugar
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
Boil the butternut in salted water until cooked through but still firm enough tohold its shape, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a separate pan over medium heat and fry the onion, cumin, curry powder, mustard powder and chilli together until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients, except the butternut. Simmer gently, 3 – 5 minutes.
Add the butternut, mix everything together gently and spoon into sterilised jars. Allow to cool completely before sealing.
TRY THIS: South Indian mango and cardamom achar