- 1 head cos lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- 1 egg
- 2 long flat croutons, rubbed with garlic
- 50ml Parmesan, peeled into long shavings
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100 ml olive oil
- 50ml Parmesan, finely grated
- 6 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Wash, rinse and dry the lettuce leaves.
Coddle the egg for a minute. Break the egg into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Set aside.
For the dressing, in a separate bowl, mix the garlic together with the lemon juice. Slowly add the olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Add the Parmesan, anchovies and coddled egg mix to combine. Put the lettuce into the dressing and mix well.
Soft-poach the egg and place it in the bottom of your serving bowl. Lay the lettuce on top and season to taste. Garnish with the croutons and Parmesan shavings.
To “coddle” is to boil an egg in its shell for a minute. Poach the egg at the last minute before serving.