- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into large chunks
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- a small bunch of fresh flat-leaf
- parsley, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) capers, rinsed
- 100g green olives, pitted
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add the aubergine and oregano and season. Cook over high heat until the aubergine is golden, about 5 minutes.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the parsley, capers, olives, vinegar and tomatoes. Simmer until the tomatoes have softened, about 15 minutes.
Adjust the seasoning, drizzle with olive oil and scatter with the basil leaves before serving.