This caramelised fennel, blue cheese and olive pizza stole a pizza our hearts!
Caramelised fennel, blue cheese and olive pizza
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 2 large fennel bulbs, roughly
- chopped, plus a few fronds
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- 60ml (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 420g (3 cups) self-raising flour
- 200ml boiling water
- 160ml sunflower oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 250ml (1 cup) cream cheese
- 250ml (1 cup) green olives, pitted
- 150g blue cheese, crumbled
- fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the caramelised fennel, heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the fennel until slightly golden. Add thewater and sugar and simmer until the liquid is reduced and the fennel is tender and caramelised, about 25 minutes. Season and stir in a few of the fennel fronds. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
For the dough, mix all the ingredients in a food processor and knead into a smooth ball. Divide the dough in half and press into 2 loose-bottomed, 25cm-diameter cake tins. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn out and allow to cool slightly.
To serve, spread the cream cheese on the pizza bases, top with the fennel, olives and blue cheese and scatter withthe basil. Finish with a good grind of black pepper.