Caramelised onion and anchovy tarts
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 6 large brown onions, sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) sherry vinegar
- 100g (½ cup) brown sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 200g rolls ready-made puff pastry, thawed
- 65g Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and caramelised, about 20 − 25 minutes.
Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and continue to cook until thick and syrupy, about a further 5 minutes.
Roll out the pastry. Cut each sheet in half and place on abaking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Use a fork to score a 1cm border around each rectangle. Divide the onion mixture between the 4 pastry sheets and top with the olives, anchovies and thyme.
Brush the pastry edges with the egg and bake until puffed and golden, about 12 − 15 minutes.
Serve the tarts with a crisp green salad.