Chargrilled calamari with chilli, lime and parsley and guasacaca
- Guasacaca (guacamole)
- 2 ripe avocados, skins and pips removed and roughly chopped
- ½ garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 20ml (4 tsp) red wine vinegar + extra, if needed
- dash olive oil
- small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30g butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 400g baby squid and tentacles, rinsed and dried
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 chilli, roughly chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
For the guasacaca, mash together all of the ingredients to a rough paste. Adjust the seasoning and add more vinegar, if needed. Set aside.
For the calamari, heat the butter and olive oil in a pan over high heat. As soon as the butter starts to foam, add a handful of squid, a little of the crushed garlic, chilli and zest and flash-fry for a couple of seconds or until the calamari is just done. Add a squeeze of lime juice and quickly remove from the pan and place on your serving dish. Season to taste. Repeat this process in small batches as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan when cooking calamari.
Serve the calamari garnished with freshly chopped parsley and a side of guasacaca.