Roast cashews are ground and added to this curry to thicken and flavour the sauce. There is enough coconut to add robust flavour.
By Bernadette Le Roux
Photograph by Shane Powell
Chicken, cashew and fresh coconut curry
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1,5kg chicken thighs, deboned, skin removed and cut into cubes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 3ml chilli powder
- 3ml ground coriander
- 3ml ground cloves
- 3ml ground cumin
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh coconut, grated
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock or water
- 140g cashew nuts, roasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken pieces until well browned.
Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan with all the spices and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes over moderate heat, stirring frequently.
Stir in the coconut milk, fresh coconut and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes.
Blend 2/3 of the cashews in a food processor until fine. Add these to the pan and season.
Serve garnished with the remaining whole cashews and a few chunks of fresh coconut.