This chicken korma is super quick and simply splendid – perfect for colder evenings.
Chicken kormaPrint Recipe
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 30ml (2 tbsp) mild curry paste
- 1kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into large cubes
- 125ml (½ cup) hot water
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) ghee
Heat half the oil in a pot and add half the onions, together with the tomatoes, green peppers, ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric, salt and water. Cover and cook gently over medium heat until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and blend into a purée.
Heat the remaining oil in the pot and gently fry the cardamom and bay leaves for a minute. Add the remaining onion and continue to cook until softened. Stir in the curry paste and cook for a further minute. Pour in the puréed mixture from the food processor and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the chicken and water and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add the coconut, sugar and cream and bring to the boil. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the ghee and leave to settle for about 10 minutes before serving with basmati rice, garnished with the extra coriander.