TO DRINK: Austrian GrÃœner Veltliner.
Chilled avocado, basil and cucumber soup with chive pan bread
- PAN BREAD
- 240g (2 cups) cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 80ml (? cup) hot water
- 80ml (? cup) cold water
- 60ml (¼ cup) butter, melted, plus extra for frying
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh chives, snipped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 50g (1 cup) cucumber, diced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sweet chilli sauce
- salt, to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- fresh basil, to serve
For the pan bread, place the flour, baking powder, hot and cold water in a food processor and mix until the dough comes together. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece out to about 5mm thick. Brush with the butter and sprinkle the chives on top. Roll each piece up to form a log and then twist into a spiral. Gently flatten with your hand and roll out again to about 1cm thick.
Heat a little butter in a pan and fry the bread for about 3 minutes on each side. Set aside to keep warm.
To make the soup, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust the seasoning and serve drizzled with a little yoghurt and topped with basil.