Contrary to popular belief, chilli con carne doesn’t have its roots in Mexico, but comes from the good ol’ state of Texas.
Chilli con carne
- 250g streaky bacon, cubed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced
- 400g beef mince
- 2ml tomato purée
- 1 x 410g tin red kidney
- beans, drained
- 1 x 375ml bottle hot salsa
- tacos or tortillas, to serve
- cheddar, grated, to serve
- sour cream, to serve
- 50ml fresh coriander, to serve
Put the bacon in a large frying pan and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and chillies, and stir for another minute.
Add the meat and cook until it is light brown. Add the purée, beans and salsa, and cook for 10 minutes to heat through.
Serve hot with tacos or tortillas, cheddar, sour cream and coriander.