Chouriço and calamari salad
- 100g calamari tubes, sliced or left whole, rinsed and patted dry
- 15ml (1 tbsp) flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 50g chouriço, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 punnet salanova lettuce, rinsed and washed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g sun-dried Rosa tomatoes
- 100g large Kalamata olives
- 100g Danish feta, cubed
- 1 avocado, sliced lengthways
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 15ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
Season the calamari in the flour, paprika and seasoning mixture.
Heat a non-stick pan over high heat and toss in the chouriço (frying it dry will render the fat, which holds the flavour).
When chouriço crisps up, add the calamari tubes (add a drop of olive oil if you need to). Fry the calamari until opaque and browned, about 20 seconds on each side. Keep tossing the pan to ensure the calamari does not overcook. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Begin building the salad: start with lettuce, onion, tomatoes, add calamari and sausage, olives, feta and avocado.
Place two lemon wedges on top of the salad. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and black pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice according to your taste.