A hearty meal that’s great with or without chicken – add a fried chicken breast to bulk it up for a hungry crowd
Creamy artichoke, mushroom and basil spaghetti
- 3 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) onion, finely chopped
- 100g mixed wild mushrooms
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- 80ml white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 250g spaghetti
- grated Parmesan, to serve
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
Follow the steps on how to prepare artichokes.
Chop them into quarters, add another dash of lemon juice and set aside.
Heat butter over high heat and fry onions and mushrooms with garlic for 2 – 3 minutes. Add artichoke quarters. Deglaze the pan with white wine and allow it to bubble away for one or two minutes. Pour in the cream and simmer for a few minutes. Season and add the chopped basil just before serving.
Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Serve the sauce over the pasta, add grated Parmesan and scatter basil leaves on top.
Artichokes are great for breakfast. Serve these with scrambled or fried eggs – perfect for any meal of the day.