Creamy root-vegetable soup with mushroom crostinis
- 200g parsnips, peeled and diced
- 200g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Mushroom crostinis
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 large French loaf, sliced
- 100g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) mozzarella, grated
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 100g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 10g butter, melted
For the soup, add the root vegetables and stock to a large saucepan over medium heat and simmer until soft, 25 minutes.
Add the cooked vegetables to a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Return to the saucepan, add the cream and stir over low heat until warm, 5 minutes. Season to taste.
For the crostinis, heat the oven grill to high. Mix the butter and garlic using a wooden spoon, and spread onto the French loaf slices. Carefully arrange the sliced mushrooms on top and sprinkle with mozzarella. Grill until golden brown, 5 – 10 minutes.
To serve, place the oil in a saucepan over high heat and fry the brown mushrooms, 5 minutes. Pour the soup into bowls, stack with the brown mushrooms and drizzle with melted butter. Serve with the crostinis on the side.